Trade union recognition (5): when the bargaining unit changes after recognition

This practice note considers what happens when, after the Central Arbritration Committee (CAC) has issued a declaration recognising a union as entitled to conduct collective bargaining on behalf of a group of workers (the bargaining unit), the bargaining unit changes. If the employer and union are unable to agree a new bargaining unit they may, in certain circumstances, apply for the CAC to consider whether the bargaining unit remains appropriate (and, if not, what it should be) under Part III of Schedule A1 to the Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 (TULRCA). The employer may also ask the CAC to decide whether the bargaining unit has, in fact, ceased to exist.


The full text of this resource is available by logging in or by requesting a trial. If you have any questions, please contact us or your Practical Law Account Executive.

Free trial

A free trial will give you:

Unlimited access to our online legal know-how services during the trial period
Full training and support
Four issues of Practical Law The Journal, the companion to Practical Law online
Weekly update e-mails on current legal developments in your practice area

Log in using Practical Law username

Only use this login if you have not set up OnePass for Practical Law

{ "siteName" : "PLC", "objType" : "PLC_Doc_C", "objID" : "1247243690473", "objName" : "ACT_OWNED - READ_ONLY - 3-382-7751", "userID" : "2", "objUrl" : "", "pageType" : "Resource", "academicUserID" : "", "contentAccessed" : "false", "analyticsPermCookie" : "2-34f33658:15b1a7b08b6:-2331", "analyticsSessionCookie" : "2-34f33658:15b1a7b08b6:-2330", "statisticSensorPath" : "" }