Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
Practical Law Panel Firm: Commercial
In January 2011, Kilpatrick Stockton and Townsend and Townsend and Crew merged their high-profile firms, creating the combined firm of Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP. Kilpatrick Townsend is a full-service international law firm with nearly 650 attorneys in 18 offices across the globe, including: Atlanta, GA; Augusta, GA; Charlotte, NC; Denver, CO; New York, NY; Oakland, CA; Palo Alto, CA; Raleigh, NC; San Diego, CA; San Francisco, CA; Seattle, WA; Walnut Creek, CA; Washington, DC; Winston-Salem, NC; Dubai; Stockholm; Taipei; and Tokyo.
Kilpatrick Townsend’s Insurance Recovery team is nationally and internationally recognized for its experience in the preservation and recovery of insurance assets for policyholders. The team’s lawyers are among the most experienced in the world in the litigation and trial of insurance coverage cases, and also account for an impressive body of scholarship, having published extensively in law reviews, industry magazines, and trade association publications. Collectively, the team has recovered billions of dollars in insurance benefits for their clients. Through their multinational practice, our attorneys have recovered insurance benefits for losses suffered and policies issued in the United States, Australia, Canada, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, India, Mexico, Norway, Republic of Panama, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Venezuela, and off the Malaysian coast.
The Insurance Recovery Team routinely handles coverage disputes involving:
- Property damage and business interruption losses from catastrophic events, such as fires, explosions, floods, mold infestations, earthquakes, hurricanes, cyclones, and terrorist attacks.
- Construction claims, including coverage under commercial general liability, professional liability, first-party property, environmental and builders’ risk policies, and performance bonds, as well as “additional insured” claims.
- Mass tort and other products liability claims, including claims relating to building products; food additives; exposure to asbestos, silica, and other injurious substances; and national coordinating counsel functions relating to the management of such claims.
- Commercial general liability losses for property damage and bodily injury liability arising out of a variety of other claims, including workplace injury, catastrophic accidents, blast fax cases, “additional insured” claims, and workers’ compensation cases.
- Directors’ and officers’ liability, including claims based on liabilities for securities fraud and related matters, government investigations, fiduciary obligations, and other alleged business liabilities.
- Errors and omissions liability, including claims against financial institutions (including bankers’ professional liability), colleges and universities, credit reporting and collection agencies, mortgage companies, Internet marketing companies, software companies, franchisors, contractors, architects, and engineers.
- Environmental liabilities, including cleanups under first-party policies, as well as third-party coverage claims relating to petroleum contamination and numerous other hazardous substances.
- Technology and intellectual property claims, including patent, trademark, and trade dress disputes; copyright infringement; and unfair competition.
- Cyber-risk coverage, including claims relating to privacy breaches and data theft.
- Fidelity and commercial crime insurance, including claims for a variety of losses resulting from theft, employee dishonesty, and computer fraud.
- Employment practices liability, including EEOC proceedings and investigations, employment lawsuits, and benefits liability issues.
- Bankruptcy-related claims, including protection of insurance assets in bankruptcy and financial restructuring situations, and insurance disputes among stakeholders.
- Insurance market issues, including insurer bad faith, unfair and deceptive trade practices, insurance program structure, self-insured/large deductible programs, premium disputes, claims-handling practices, and broker misconduct and malpractice.
- Health care claims involving a variety of illnesses and coverages.
- International insurance claims, including international arbitrations and other international insurance recovery efforts.
Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP has contributed the following resources to Practical Law Commercial:
- Commercial General Liability Insurance Policies: Personal and Advertising Injury Coverage (Coverage B)
- Commercial General Liability Insurance Policies: Property Damage and Bodily Injury Coverage (Coverage A)
- Directors and Officers Liability Insurance Policies
- Filing a Claim under a Property Insurance Policy Checklist
- First-party Property Insurance Policies
- Insurance Policies and Coverage: Overview
- Notice of Claim: Claims-made Policy
- Notice of Claim: Occurrence-based Policy
- Standstill Agreement and Covenant Not to Sue (Tolling Agreement)